- By catching some extra z's. People naturally want to sleep a little more during the winter, but with all we have going on - sleep is normally the first thing to go. With a little time management, and some self-discipline, you can meet your shut eye needs. I personally aim for about 8 to 9 hours each night and go to bed around the same time as well. This is so your sleeping patterns are on more of a schedule and this will encourage you to have more energy. Naps are great too! A short 10-30 minute nap may be all that you need to put that extra pep into your step.
- Getting social support aka hang with my family and friends.
- Drink coffee. I love warm beverages in the middle of winter, they warm me right to my very soul.
- Embrace the season, I think an ice skating date may be in order. Any takers?
- Relax! and meditate.
- Treat myself where I can, even if that means just having a night to unwind, paint my nails and delve into a good book.
- Avoid binge drinking. I'm one of those all or nothing type of gals. I rarely drink, but when I do - I tend to go a bit overboard. Obviously I don't feel my best after a night of tons of drinking, but right now with nothing else to do - going out and getting a little cray cray is irresistible.
- Act on my resolutions. Keep up with my healthy eating and workout plans and keep striving towards my goals.
- Get some sun, whenever the suns out to make a point to be near it - even if that means just opening the shades and letting some natural light in or taking the pooches out for a walk.
And speaking of exercise, on to today's workout! It was a doozy, but I loved every second of it.
- 30 minutes jump roping in the sun :-) on our patio
- Today I decided to focus on legs.
- Thigh toner workout as seen to the side there. Where it says 20 donkey kicks, I included lifting my leg straight back 20 times as well. I only did it twice because I ended up getting a little bored and looking to change it up.
- 3 sets of 100 - 15 lb. resistance band oblique exercise done in a controlled rhythm
This next part was an abs circuit which I completed 3 times.
- 20 regular mountain climber
- 1 minute regular plank
- 1 minute right side plank
- 1 minute left side plank
Following was a mini-obliques circuit done again 3 times.
- 20 left side crunch
- 20 left side fish leg raise (lift both legs up and down while laying on your side)
- 20 right side crunch
- 20 right side fish leg raise
To end the routine, I did some cool-down flexibility work. Each held for the duration of a song, and every song averages around 3 and a half minutes.
- Right side stretch
- Left side stretch
- Pike stretch
- Spread eagle center stretch
- Butterfly stretch
- Center split (this was not held for three consecutive minutes,
I'm not cray!at that level just yet. Right now I'm at a point where I'll hold my split for 1 and a half minutes at a time for 3 times and each time push a little bit further into it.)
The song that drove me absolutely wild during today's fabulous workout was...
Pressure! The Alesso Remix featuring Nadia Ali, the Starkillers and Alex Kenji.
- Breakfast: 2-ingredient banana pancake + an orange. Cup o'joe with French vanilla creamer.
- Lunch: A berry smoothie mixed with raw oatmeal + a tuna patty. Shocker on the tuna right?
- Dinner: Hmm, TBD.
A couple quick body shots to give you an idea of where I'm at...
Nothing too crazy, hence the lack of emphasis on the body shots this time around.
On a completely random, but 100% necessary note you may or may not know that we're dog sitting this week, so we currently have 4 dogs in the apartment. It's complete and utter mayhem, but as a self-proclaimed animal lover am eating up every single moment of it. There is mi hija -Lolita, who of courses run the joint, Ollie + 2 female chihuahuas, Peanut, who is literally the size of a peanut and looks and runs away from me as if I have leprosy - and the other named Princess, who is currently laying on my lap as I type this post, so basically when this week is over I may have to kidnap her. Shhh, that'll be our little secret. Little BFF.